Contra Costa Canal Replacement Project Segment 5
About the Contra Costa Canal
The Contra Costa Canal is located in the south Delta, in eastern Contra Costa County, California, is owned by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (Reclamation) and is part of the Central Valley Project (CVP). The canal is operated and maintained by CCWD through an agreement with Reclamation. The Contra Costa Canal originates at the end of Rock Slough in Oakley and ends approximately 45 miles to the west at the Martinez Reservoir. The first four miles of the unlined Canal are earthen and unlined.
About the Project
Starting in 2006, CCWD Board approved the Canal Replacement Project. The purpose of the Canal Replacement Project is to replace the first four miles of the unlined Canal with a pipeline. Replacement of the unlined portion of the Contra Costa Canal provides the following benefits: Water Quality, Security, Public Safety, Reduces Seepage, Flood Control and Enhanced Compatibility with planned land use changes in this area.
Since 2009 approximately 14,000 feet of the unlined Canal have been replaced between PP1 to East Cypress Road (Segments 1 to 4). Approximately 7,000 feet of Segment 5 replacement remains to be completed largely between East Cypress Road to the Rock Slough headworks.
Segment 5 construction will be conducted in at least two phases starting with Segment 5B, which is 6,400 feet from the Rock Slough headworks to about 200 feet south of East Cypress Road. Segment 5A construction includes 200 feet at the end of Segment 4 on the north side of East Cypress Road, replacement of 250 feet of siphons under East Cypress Road and 200 feet of unlined Canal south of East Cypress Road. Once Segment 5A is constructed, then the City of Oakley will be able to widen East Cypress Road from two to six lanes. Segment 5A construction could occur anytime from 2024 to 2027.
CEQA Documents for the Canal Replacement Project
- Notice of Determination Canal Replacement Project Segment 5 Addendum No, 6 (PDF) – October 2022
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project Addendum No. 5 (PDF) – April 2018
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project Addendum No. 4 (PDF) – April 2017
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project Addendum No. 3 (PDF) – March 2013
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project Addendum No. 2 (PDF) – September 2009
- Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project Addendum No. 1 (PDF) – March 2009
- Final Environmental Assessment Canal Replacement Project (PDF) – June 2007
- Finding of No Significant Impact Canal Replacement Project (PDF) – June/July 2007
- Action Specific Implementation Plan Canal Replacement Project (PDF) – March 2007
- Final Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project (PDF) – November 2006
- Initial Study/Proposed Mitigated Negative Declaration Canal Replacement Project (PDF) – April 2006
Project Approval Timeline
|August to October 2022||Clear and Grubb Segment 5B|
|October 2022||Award Segment 5B Contract|
|May to June 2023||Prepare Segment 5B for construction|
|July to November 2023||Segment 5B Construction|
|Spring and Summer 2024||Finalize Site Segment 5B Grading and Site Restoration|
|2024 to 2027||Segment 5A replacement|
Email Mark Seedall
Contra Costa Water District
P.O. Box H2O
Concord, CA 94524