Fishing Report – December 2022
Stripers are biting!
- The water temperature is currently 61 degrees.
- The water level is currently at 76,000 acre feet.
- Our water clarity has been good except for windy days.
If you are interested in renting a boat, we recommend calling ahead to check current wind conditions. We do our best to advise, but are limited to the National Weather Service forecast. Remember – rental boats are first come, first served. Weekends and some weekdays sell out quickly.
- When boating – be aware of our water levels and our ever-changing shorelines.
- Observe the speed limit driving into the Marina as wildlife routinely crosses the road looking for water. Please help us protect them, yourself and your vehicle.
- Remember to pack it in, pack it out – especially fish line. We appreciate everyone’s effort to keep our watershed clean!
Date Plant Amount Plant Source 11/30/2022 1,000 lbs. CDFW 11/16/2022 2.500 lbs. CDFW 11/15/2022 1,000 lbs. Mt. Lassen 11/2/2022 2,000 lbs. Mt. Lassen 10/13/2022 2,000 lbs. Mt. Lassen
For those wishing to target catfish, chicken liver and anchovies are the best choices of bait. There has been a steady number of catfish being caught around the reservoir. South Cove, Cowboy Cove and Oak Point have been mentioned by our anglers.
Date Plant Amount Plant Source 9/22/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise 9/8/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise 8/26/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise 8/10/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise 7/20/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise 7/8/2022 1,000 lbs. Tsai Enterprise
Most anglers were focused on stripers or trout. Keep in mind that largemouth need to be 12 inches to be kept. Please release any big largemouth bass you might catch; they are the future of largemouth bass fishing in the reservoir. If you catch any undersized fish please release them gently and allow them to grow up. There have been reports that jigging near rocky shores has been successful.
Striper fishing is mixed with both shakers and legal sized fish being caught from around the reservoir. Cut anchovies or shad is the bait of choice, either from shore or a boat. Cowboy Cove and Howden Cove seem to be the hot spot for stripers. Just a reminder, stripers need to be 18 inches or more to be legal. Please release the small fish as quickly and carefully as possible. They are the future of our striped bass fishery.
Whopper Mug Rules
- Trout must be 8 pounds
- Striped Bass need to be at least 10 pounds
- Catfish is at 12 pounds or more
- Largemouth Bass remains at 5 pounds and must be released
Please note: ONLY a photo with a scale or a measuring tape showing the fish being at least 18” will count.
- Catfish - 10
- Black Bass - 5 (minimum length 12 inches)
- Trout - 5
- Salmon - 5
- Crappie - 25
- Striped Bass - 2 (minimum length 18 inches)
Shore fishing is available on the South side of the reservoir, near Livermore. The Marina has the following available for purchase:
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife Fishing Licenses
- Bait and tackle
- Los Vaqueros gear
On the North side of the reservoir, near Brentwood, anglers can park at the John Muir Interpretive Center and hike about a half-mile to fishing areas.
Call the Marina with questions at 925-371-2628.