Visit Los Vaqueros
Safety Rules and Guidelines at Los Vaqueros
Help us keep Los Vaqueros safe by cooperating with watershed rules. View a comprehensive list of rules and regulations in Ordinance No. 14-01 (PDF).
Before Visiting Los Vaqueros
- Bring water. Bottled water is also available for purchase at the Marina.
- Download a Los Vaqueros Watershed Map (PDF) before leaving home. Or, at the entry kiosk, request a brochure with a map so you can familiarize yourself with the area.
While Visiting Los Vaqueros
- No alcohol
- No swimming
- No outside watercraft
- No pets
- No smoking (only designated area at Marina is between parking lots)
- No BBQs due to potential fire hazard.
- California fishing regulations are enforced.
- Parking only in designated (paved and gravel) areas. Citations will be issued for vehicles parked outside of designated areas.
- Pack it in. Pack it out. Do not leave trash on trails or near the shore. Thank you for keeping the watershed clean!
- What is the general layout of the watershed?
The watershed has two entrances. There is a north entrance on Walnut Boulevard near Brentwood and a south entrance off of Vasco Road near Livermore. See Directions to Los Vaqueros.
- Is swimming allowed in the reservoir?
No. Body contact is not allowed in Los Vaqueros Reservoir or in any of the streams or ponds in the watershed. The Los Vaqueros Reservoir stores drinking water for 500,000 people in central and east Contra Costa, therefore every effort is made to prevent microbial contamination of the water in order to protect public health.
- Can I bring my dog?
No. Dogs and other pets are not allowed in the Los Vaqueros Watershed. This protects the multitude of small animals, some of which are endangered, that live in this protected watershed environment. Many of these endangered animals are easily disrupted by both the presence and scent of dogs. This rule also protects public safety and water quality.
- Are there any parking fees?
- How much does it cost to fish?
There is a $6 per person daily permit fee for fishing on site at Los Vaqueros.
- Will I be able to launch my boat in the reservoir?
No, there are no outside boats allowed on the reservoir. There are 16-foot and patio electric boat rentals available. Find boat rental information on our fees page.
- Can I get hot food and snacks at Los Vaqueros?
Yes, there are sodas, snacks and some limited hot microwave food like burritos and hot pockets available only at the Marina.
- What are the hours for the John Muir Interpretive Center at Los Vaqueros?
The John Muir Interpretive Center at Los Vaqueros is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- What is the weather like?
- How can I get more information?
Call the Marina at 925-371-2628.
Los Vaqueros is open every day, including holidays. Gates lock promptly at closing time. Citations will be issued for late departure. Call 925-688-8374 after hours.
|January||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|February||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|March||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|April||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
|May||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
|June||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
|July||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
|August||6:00 am||8:00 pm|
|September||7:00 am||7:00 pm|
|October||7:00 am||6:00 pm|
|November||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
|December||7:00 am||5:00 pm|
The National Weather Service has hourly updates on the weather at Los Vaqueros. For real-time information on the weather conditions, call the Marina at 925-371-2628.
View from Los Vaqueros Marina
The video below is a live feed directly from the Los Vaqueros Marina, providing a real time view of reservoir conditions.