Water Rate Proposal for 2023
Part of providing sustainable water service is conducting an annual review of water rates and charges. Water rates are increased only in an amount necessary to pay for the purchase, treatment, transport, and delivery of safe, high-quality, and reliable water to your home or business, and for the employees needed to sustain a complex water system.
For 2023, we are proposing rate adjustments to generate up to a 7.0% revenue increase for treated water service and up to a 5.0% increase for untreated water service. Letters were mailed to customers and are linked on this page detailing the proposal that will be presented at the public hearing to be held on January 4, 2023.
Our water rate proposal for 2023 supports the following priorities to ensure your water system remains sound:
- Meet the rising costs of operating the water system: The costs of purchased water, treatment chemicals, fuel, energy, and facilities maintenance continue to increase resulting from the surge in inflation which is the highest we’ve experienced in decades. The higher operating costs are balanced with adjustments to the timing of planned capital work to deliver a proposed revenue increase consistent with the 10-Year Financial Plan. The District strives to manage costs, while focusing on reliable water service and affordable water rates.
- Replace aging water infrastructure: Reliable water service requires continued investment in the replacement of aging canals, pipes, and other critical facilities for current and future needs. Implementing well planned and timely investments as identified in the District’s 10-year capital improvement plan is our responsibility as your water provider to ensure a reliable supply of water and to protect the public health for our community.
- Maintain financial stability: Annual rate adjustments combined with use of reserves provide the funding necessary to sustain quality operations and service.
Contact us during business hours with any questions at 925-688-8000.
- Treated Water Customer (PDF)
- Untreated Water Customer - Metered (PDF)
- Untreated Water Customer - Unmetered (PDF)
- Untreated Water Customer - Agricultural (PDF)
Notice of Public Hearing
CCWD's Board of Directors will consider adoption of proposed rate adjustments at a public hearing on Wednesday, January 4, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. at 1331 Concord Avenue, Concord, CA in the Board Room. Any changes to rates and charges will become effective February 1, 2023.
Submit a Comment or Protest
Written comments about or protests to the proposed rate changes must be submitted prior to the conclusion of the public hearing scheduled for Jan. 4, 2023.
To submit a written protest, please include identification of the affected property (by assessor’s parcel number, street address, or account number). Only one protest per parcel will be counted. Please send or deliver written protests to:
Contra Costa Water District
1331 Concord Avenue
Concord, CA 94520
Protests may also be submitted through the online form below by 5pm on Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2023.