Water Use Prohibitions
State Mandated Water Use Prohibitions
- Irrigation of non-functional turf in the commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors consistent with final emergency regulations enacted by the State Board
Permanent Water Use Prohibitions
- Failing to repair a leak in the customer’s water system;
- Permitting excessive water run-off from the customer’s premises;
- Watering outdoor landscapes in a manner that causes excessive runoff such that water flows onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots, or structures;
- Watering of outdoor landscapes during and up to 48 hours after measurable rainfall;
- Watering outdoor landscapes between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.;
- Using a hose to wash a motor vehicle, except where the hose is fitted with a shut-off nozzle or device attached to it that causes it to cease dispensing water when not in use;
- Washing driveways, sidewalks, parking areas, patios or other outdoor areas, unless the failure to do so would create a hazard to the health and safety of any individual or the public;
- Using potable water for non-recirculating fountains or other non-recirculating decorative water features;
- Irrigating ornamental turf in public street medians with potable water;
- Irrigating landscapes outside of newly constructed homes and buildings in a manner inconsistent with regulations or other requirements established by the California Building Standards Commission and the Department of Housing and Community Development; or otherwise failing to put water received from the District to reasonable and beneficial use.
For details about permanent prohibited water uses adopted during the 2015 drought, see Ordinance No. 16-01 (PDF).
Report Water Leaks and Waste
See water waste?
Report water waste you've observed in the community.
See a leak in the street?
Call 925-688-8374 if you notice a water leak in the street or a broken fire hydrant.