What is the District’s policy relative to Accessory Dwelling Units?

The District’s Code of Regulations (Section 5.32.020A) states that Accessory dwelling units as defined in California Government Code § 65852.2(j)(1) (also referred to as in-law, residential secondary, or efficiency units) which will not require a separate connection to the water system, and which are either built outside the existing space of a single-family residence or accessory structure or are built in conjunction with a new single-family residence, are subject to the fees and charges specified in Section 5.08.040, which includes a Facility Reserve Charge that is proportionate to the additional burden these units place on the water system, and Section 5.56.060.

As used herein, “existing space” means the area within and including the original walls and roofline of the permitted single-family primary residence or permitted accessory structure.

District Title 5 Regulations (PDF)

Show All Answers

1. What is the District’s policy relative to Accessory Dwelling Units?
2. Do I need a separate meter for my ADU?
3. What is the next step to provide water service to the ADU?
4. What is a walk-in service?
5. Can the District size a meter?
6. How long will it take for the design and installation of my walk-in service?
7. Can I change the location of my new service, and whom should I call?
8. Who should I call to find out the status of my project?
9. Once the design of my project is complete, whom should I contact for installation?
10. What do I need to do to get the water turned on once the facilities are installed?
11. When do I pay the District to design my new water service?
12. What are FRCs, and why do I need to pay them?
13. Do I receive a credit for an existing meter if I replace it with a larger meter?
14. What is a PRV and when does the District recommend their installation?
15. What is a RPBPD and when are they required?
16. Can I upgrade or downgrade my existing meter, and whom should I call?